Risk Assessment Services
Health & Safety Consultants
Every employer is under a statutory duty to arrange for a "competent person" to assess all risks arising at the workplace, or created by work activities. Some risks are of a general nature, but others will need to be considered against more specialised legislation.
Where assessments are needed
The more common subjects that give rise to an assessment duty are:
- For General risks (Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations)
- Where exposure to substances may cause damage to health (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations)
- At workstations where VDUs are used (Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations)
- Where hazardous lifting or carrying tasks are undertaken (Manual Handling Operations Regulations)
- In noisy environments which could cause damage to hearing (Noise at Work Regulations)
The fire risk assessment should consider the means of raising the alarm, arrangements for safe evacuation, fire safety equipment and signage.
Other specific requirements for assessments include: selection and use of personal protective equipment (PPE) and assessing the presence, type and location of asbestos.
How we can help
We can arrange for a qualified safety practitioner to carry out risk assessments on your behalf. Our assessment may take the form of a general risk review, or may involve a more detailed analysis of a specific hazard.
Review and re-assessment
All assessments must be reviewed from time to time, to ensure that they remain valid. For this reason we encourage you to nominate a "shadow assessor" to accompany our consultant for part of the exercise. Your nominee will pick up sufficient basic understanding to confidently deal with many of the issues that could arise in the future. As an alternative we can, if you prefer, carry out periodical reviews on your behalf.