The owner of the Bengal Brasserie in Belfast has reportedly been fined a total of Â£1,750 for breaching food hygiene regulations.
Environmental health inspectors uncovered problems at the Ormeau Road business in February 2010 whilst on a routine visit. They reported a number of food hygiene offences, including:
â€¢ Cigarette butts left in the bottom of staff lockers
â€¢ Dirty and sanitary floors
â€¢ Exposed cement plaster preventing a wall from being properly cleaned
â€¢ Cooked meat stored in a poorly functioning fridge
â€¢ Raw chicken prepared on a work surface above uncovered cooked meat
â€¢ The same worktops being used to prepare both vegetables and raw meat
â€¢ Chefs aprons and kitchen cloths being dried on dirty railings at the rear of the building, in the emergency exit stairwell
â€¢ Generally poor food hygiene practices, such as preparing food in unsuitable areas
The owner of the restaurant, Mizanur Rahman, was prosecuted by Belfast City Council as a result of the hygiene and safety breaches. Rahman was also fined Â£1,750 and ordered to pay costs of Â£69.
The councilâ€™s officers have now confirmed to the court that standards have improved at the restaurant since the inspection, which could be due to improved food hygiene training within the business.