LinkedIn TutorCare on FaceBook TutorCare on Twitter
0800 781 2041

Caretaker praised for saving resident in Dundee flat fire

Posted: February 2nd, 2011 by Eloise comment-icon 1

The caretaker of a block of flats in Dundee which went up in flames last week has been praised for saving the life of a resident trapped inside.

After being alerted to the fire alarms sounding at around 11.30pm last Friday (28th January), the caretaker of the Burnside Mill flats in Milne’s East Wynd rushed inside in a rescue bid.

Whilst other residents from the property’s twenty flats were alerted to the blaze and able to escape in time, one was not. This man was rescued by the caretaker, who suffered burns to his hands in the process. Both men were also treated for smoke inhalation at the scene, before being taken to the local hospital for precautionary checks.

However, the local fire service has stated that the incident could have been catastrophic had the fire alarms not sounded and the caretaker – who is likely to have undergone some kind of fire safety training course – acted as he did.

Speaking of the incident, Tayside Fire and Rescue Service group manager Rab Middlemiss said:

“This should serve as a stark reminder to the public of the danger of fire within their homes and the need to have working and regularly-tested smoke alarms fitted,”

“It also highlighted the benefits of having a well- rehearsed fire action plan so people know how to act should they discover or are trapped by a fire in their home.”

One Comment on “Caretaker praised for saving resident in Dundee flat fire”

Training Courses

Blog Directory & Business Pages -

Healing Cloud
Search through a hand-picked selection of healing sites, and find the healing information you are looking for.