Both the football clubs in the Scottish city of Dundee have been told that they need to improve food hygiene standards, after inspectors assessed their kitchens and found a number of issues.
Food hygiene inspectors visiting the kitchens at Dundee United’s home ground found cobwebs on kitchen units and mould growing on a broken extraction vent. There were also no hand washing facilities in some areas where food is served, such as the players’ lounge. Inspectors also reported finding ‘no evidence’ that staff at the Tannadice Stadium were washing their hands, which is one of the first things learnt on basic food safety training courses.
Over at Dundee Football Club, at its Dens Park home ground, mouse droppings were found in one food outlet. At others, there were no handwashing facilities.
The club’s managers have now been told that they will need to make urgent improvements to food hygiene training and practices, as well as kitchens, facilities and equipment, in order to get food hygiene standards up to an acceptable level. If they fail to do so, they could be banned from serving food to players and members of the public.