LinkedIn TutorCare on FaceBook TutorCare on Twitter
0800 781 2041

Fine for Oxfordshire restaurant over fire safety breaches

Posted: February 4th, 2013 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A restaurant in the Oxfordshire town of Witney has been fined for breaching fire safety rules, after inspectors found potentially dangerous conditions at the food-serving premises on the town’s High Street.

Fire safety inspectors from Oxfordshire County Council uncovered a number of problems at The Raj restaurant, including fire escapes blocked by gas cylinders. Other issues, which may not have occurred had the restaurant’s owners implemented the appropriate fire safety training, included failure to carry out a risk assessment, disabled safety devices on cookers and the first floor of the property unlawfully being used as accommodation.

The Raj restaurant was first issued with a prohibition notice by the county council, to prevent the first floor being used as accommodation where people sleep. The owners of the business were also fined more than £1,000 in Oxford Magistrates’ Court after admitting three fire safety breaches.

Commenting on the case, chief fire officer Nathan Travis said:

“Hopefully, this case will serve as a reminder to both employers and other people responsible for the effective management of fire safety measures in buildings ensure their properties are safe in the event of fire.”

Comments are closed.

Training Courses

Blog Directory & Business Pages -

Healing Cloud
Search through a hand-picked selection of healing sites, and find the healing information you are looking for.