In the first part of this guide to health and safety at work, we looked at the initial steps you must follow as an employer in order to meet the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974.
Letâ€™s look what you need to do next (steps 1-5 are outlined in pt.1 of this guide):
6. Make sure your workplace has all the proper facilities to ensure a healthy and safe environment for employees. This could mean anything from installing ventilation systems and improving lighting to making sure the workplace is regularly cleaned
7. Prepare for emergencies by getting first aid kits, sending workers on first aid training and implementing an accident reporting system.
8. Put up the health and safety law poster somewhere all employees can see it. It outlines in a straightforward list all the health and safety measures you are required by law to implement.
9. Get employersâ€™ liability insurance (also required by law for all companies with employees). It enables you to meet the costs of compensation if you are found liable for an employee falling ill or sustaining an injury whilst at work.
10. Review your health and safety risk assessment, as well as any measures taken, on a regular basis.