A detailed investigation has been launched by health officials after around 80 guests were affected by a food poisoning outbreak at the Lowry Hotel in Greater Manchester.
The incident occurred last month when a charity dinner was hosted at the five-star Lowry Hotel in Salford. Around 80 diners reported feeling dizzy and suffering from vomiting after the event, and it is now suspected that they had been exposed to a bug known as campylobacter, which is caused by undercooked meat.
The Health Protection Agency (HPA) is now investigating the incident alongside Salford City Council, to find out what happened. The hotel is known for its excellent standards of quality and food hygiene training, and an incident such as this has not occurred at the premises for more than 10 years.
Peter Kienast, the general manager of the Lowry Hotel, said:
“We are very sorry to hear that a number of guests fell ill following a function at our hotel in October.
“We are determined to get to the cause of the issue and the detailed investigation is reviewing every stage of the process from the food source itself to its delivery.”