LinkedIn TutorCare on FaceBook TutorCare on Twitter
0800 781 2041

Letting agent fined £20,000 for safety failures

Posted: August 2nd, 2012 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

A letting agency from Reading has reportedly been handed a huge fine of more than £20,000 by local officials after it allowed tenants to live in poor and unsafe conditions.

The agency, Jarvis Properties, was investigated by health and safety officials at Reading Borough Councils after a resident complained about conditions in one of the properties it was responsible for managing.

An inspection of a HMO (house in multiple occupation) in Prospect Street in the west of Reading revealed that instead of the permitted seven tenants who were supposed to be living there, the house had a total of eleven tenants.

There were also problems with fire safety. The property did not have a working fire alarm system, which is one of the first issues covered any fire safety training course for property landlords. Other problems at the house included a shower and toilet that were filled with foul water, which had begun leaking to the hallway in the floor below.

After admitting the health and safety, as well as the fire safety, offences, Jarvis Properties was fined by Reading Borough Council. The letting agency, which was acting on behalf of the landlord Abdul Sheikh (who was also fined by the council), was ordered to pay more than £20,000 in fines and court costs.

Comments are closed.

Training Courses

Blog Directory & Business Pages -

Healing Cloud
Search through a hand-picked selection of healing sites, and find the healing information you are looking for.