A landlord with a property in the Lincolnshire market town of Grantham has been prosecuted and fined after he was caught breaching fire safety regulations and endangering the lives of his tenants.
Mr Hussein Dag was brought before Grantham Magistrates Court following an inspection by officers from Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service in 2012. A number of problems were found at Mr Dag’s property in the town’s Westgate area, indicating that the landlord had not taken the time to undergo the proper fire safety training.
After failing to respond to warnings and offers of help from the fire service to improve standards at his premises and implement the proper fire safety measures, Mr Dag was prosecuted. He pleaded guilty to six counts of breaching the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and was ordered to pay a fine of £8,000.
Commenting on the case, Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue’s Keiron Davey said:
“Mr Dag’s failure to carry out his obligations placed his tenants at serious risk. Some people continue to treat compliance with fire safety legislation as an option. It’s not, as the penalty in this case clearly demonstrates.”