LinkedIn TutorCare on FaceBook TutorCare on Twitter
0800 781 2041

Blog Post - Page-102

Sheffield contractor fined after worker CO poisoning incident

Posted: April 11th, 2011 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

A firm from Grimsby has been fined in Huddersfield Magistrates’ Court after three workers suffered carbon monoxide poisoning on a demolition site in November 2009. The workers, Paul Wainright, Richard McKearnan and Tony Deakin, were working within an asbestos enclosure in Huddersfield along with two other men. After finishing their task, they entered a decontamination unit (DCU) one at a time to complete a three-stage cleansing process. This included disposing of their overalls, showering and washing respiratory equipment, then finishing… Read more »

Wound assessment training for healthcare workers: find out more

Posted: April 11th, 2011 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

In the same way that basic first aid skills are important in a number of situations, the skills to assess and treat a wound will always be useful. This is especially the case for healthcare workers, who may have to deal with wounds on an everyday basis. So, what do you need to know about wound assessment? Equally as importantly, where can you find the support and guidance you need to improve your skills in this area? A wound assessment… Read more »

Teesside hotel fails fire safety tests

Posted: April 10th, 2011 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A hotel in Teesside has received a £1,000 fine in Middlesbrough Magistrates’ Court after it failed to meet fire safety standards and continued to accept guests after a fire service ban. Steven Russell, the landlord of The Courtyard Hotel in Teesside, was warned by fire safety officers in November 2009 to cease using bedrooms on two floors of the building due to safety concerns. He was also told what he needed to do to improve, Mr Russell would have known… Read more »

Penwortham school staff use emergency first aid training to save child’s life

Posted: April 9th, 2011 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

The staff at a school in Penwortham in Lancashire have been praised for using the skills learnt in their emergency first aid training to save the life of a 13-month-old girl who suffered a fit. The incident occurred last Friday (1st April) outside Whitefield Primary School. Baby Caitlyn Newman was being pushed in her pram by her aunt Kirsty Edwards, who was picking her own daughter up from the Big Oaks Little Acorns (BOLA) after-school club at Whitefield. Caitlyn apparently… Read more »

Nutrition awareness training – what will I learn about?

Posted: April 8th, 2011 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

As a care worker, you are responsible for meeting the needs of the people under your care. This includes eating and drinking, making it vital that you learn about nutrition. Nutrition awareness training courses are designed to give those working within health and social care environments a better understanding of the importance of good nutrition. Those who take this kind of care training course can then go on to apply their knowledge and develop their understanding of nutrition by working… Read more »

Swindon takeaway owner fined for health and safety breaches

Posted: April 7th, 2011 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

The owner of a town centre takeaway in Swindon has been fined more than £2,000 after the council’s environmental health officers uncovered a catalogue of health and safety failures. The owner of the Best Burritoz takeaway, Ranjit Matharu, was accused of: • Failure to keep premises clean and well-maintained • Failure to protect food products from contamination • Failure to ensure areas in contact with food were clean and hygienic • Failure to arrange for staff to undergo the proper… Read more »

Fire safety problems found at Punch Taverns pub

Posted: April 6th, 2011 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

Environment health officers from Staffordshire Moorlands District Council have uncovered a number of health and safety issues and fire safety problems at a pub in Leek. The Swan Pub is owned by Punch Taverns but was run until recently by licensee Barry Birch, who was evicted last week due to a rent dispute. Mr Birch, 58, claims that he stopped paying his rent partly because of the company’s failure to act on his health and safety concerns. Speaking to This… Read more »

Do you have what it takes to be a fire marshal?

Posted: April 5th, 2011 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A fire marshal, or fire warden, is a person who has been appointed by a company or an organisation to take responsibility for fire safety. The person who takes on this job will need to be: • Organised – to be able to effectively plan fire safety measures • Responsible – someone who can be trusted to take fire safety seriously • Observant – so as to spot fire hazards and risks • Conscientious – as even the smallest details… Read more »

CQC identifies ‘infection risk’ at Westbury care home

Posted: April 4th, 2011 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A care home in the Wiltshire town of Westbury has been named an ‘infection risk’ by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) following an inspection. CQC inspectors visited the Greengates care home, on Redlands Lane, last January. They found problems with maintenance, cleanliness and hygiene, as well as with staffing and care training. Additional issues included: • Insufficient support for those with dementia, to help them engage with others • Residents’ needs not being met • Poor procedures for maintaining personal… Read more »

Devon landlord faces £2m costs after breaching fire safety laws

Posted: April 3rd, 2011 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A landlord from the Devon village of Berrynarbor is facing potential costs of over £2 million following a fire at his property. The fire broke out at the Hillsborough Terrace house in 2008 in what police suspect was an arson attack. No one was hurt in the blaze, but the residents of seven rented rooms lost their possessions and the building itself sustained severe damage. Following the fire, the landlord, 66-year-old Joseph Draper, was found to have breached fire safety… Read more »

Training Courses