LinkedIn TutorCare on FaceBook TutorCare on Twitter
0800 781 2041

Blog Post - Page-103

CQC identifies ‘infection risk’ at Westbury care home

Posted: April 4th, 2011 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A care home in the Wiltshire town of Westbury has been named an ‘infection risk’ by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) following an inspection. CQC inspectors visited the Greengates care home, on Redlands Lane, last January. They found problems with maintenance, cleanliness and hygiene, as well as with staffing and care training. Additional issues included: • Insufficient support for those with dementia, to help them engage with others • Residents’ needs not being met • Poor procedures for maintaining personal… Read more »

Devon landlord faces £2m costs after breaching fire safety laws

Posted: April 3rd, 2011 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A landlord from the Devon village of Berrynarbor is facing potential costs of over £2 million following a fire at his property. The fire broke out at the Hillsborough Terrace house in 2008 in what police suspect was an arson attack. No one was hurt in the blaze, but the residents of seven rented rooms lost their possessions and the building itself sustained severe damage. Following the fire, the landlord, 66-year-old Joseph Draper, was found to have breached fire safety… Read more »

NVQ training options for care service managers

Posted: April 2nd, 2011 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

The management of a care service or facility can be an extremely challenging and complex task, and only a person with particular abilities and advanced levels of training will be able to do it. If you plan to advance in your career to management level, you need to start looking at your training options. The right training can equip you with the skills and knowledge to get a management role and excel in it. The best option for those responsible… Read more »

Refuse collector uses first aid skills to save toddler’s life

Posted: April 1st, 2011 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A refuse worker from Stockport has been hailed a local hero after he used his first aid skills to save the life of a choking toddler. Dave Hammond, 54, had undergone first aid training as part of a previous job, but found these skills very useful when a woman rushed outside with her choking son whilst he was working. Hammond rushed to help Rachel Fitton and her one-year-old son Calvin, who was choking on some food and had turned an… Read more »

Dental Practice CQC Registration and Training Requirements

Posted: March 31st, 2011 by TutorCare comment-icon Comments disabled

In April 2010, the Care Quality Commission (CQC) introduced a new registration system for all providers of health and social care. The new system was introduced gradually across the care sector with the aim of incorporating primary care services that provide dentistry (NHS and private sector) by April 2011. Therefore as of the 1st of April 2011 all dental practices require to be registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC). This means that in addition to standards set by professional… Read more »

Health and safety tips for small businesses

Posted: March 31st, 2011 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

Maintaining excellent standards in health and safety is crucial in any business, no matter how large or small. However, small firms often face more of a challenge as they have limited resources, as well as being less able to cope financially with the cost of fines and compensation claims relating to health and safety failings. Health and safety needn’t be a challenge, but it is important that you make every effort to protect the safety of your employees and members… Read more »

Lincolnshire butcher fined £2000 for breaching food hygiene rules

Posted: March 30th, 2011 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A butchers shop in the Lincolnshire village of Woodhall Spa has been fined a total of £2,000 for breaching food hygiene regulations. Lincolnshire Meats received the fine plus a demand for £500 in costs after environmental health inspectors from East Lindsey District Council found a number of hygiene issues at the shop. These reportedly included failing to properly disinfect knives used on cooked meat products, offering certain products that were past their use-by date for sale and failing to keep… Read more »

CQC concerned about standards at three Exeter care homes

Posted: March 29th, 2011 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) has expressed concerns to Devon County Council that three care homes in Exeter are not meeting safety and quality standards. According to BBC News Devon, the care homes in question are Exebank Care Home, Alphin House and Arthur Roberts House. These homes deal with elderly people with a whole range of needs, including mental illness and dementia. The CQC outlined a number of problems at the facilities, which included: • Delays in treatment, which could… Read more »

First aid work training: do you know what to do in an emergency?

Posted: March 28th, 2011 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

The terrifying thing about emergency situations is that they can happen at any time, without any warning. If someone suddenly becomes injured or falls ill at work, it is important that someone is able to keep a cool head and administer first aid. This could potentially save the person’s life. So, if someone fell ill in your workplace, would you know what to do? Taking a first aid training course as well as regular refresher courses can strengthen your knowledge… Read more »

Dundee holiday resort fined for health and safety failings

Posted: March 28th, 2011 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A holiday resort near Dundee has been fined a total of £120,000 after a number of health and safety failings were discovered by investigators from Angus Council. It is believed that these failings led to the death of a guest in 2008. The Piperdam Leisure Complex was investigated after 60-year-old Edward Warnes stayed there for a week in March 2008 and died of Legionnaires’ disease a month later. His partner also fell ill following the visit. Health inspectors found that… Read more »

Training Courses