LinkedIn TutorCare on FaceBook TutorCare on Twitter
0800 781 2041

Blog Post - Page-113

Landlord in Newquay fined for breaching fire safety regulations

Posted: January 26th, 2011 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

The landlord of a property in the seaside resort of Newquay has been prosecuted and fined for breaching fire safety regulations. The property in question, a house of multiple occupancy (HMO) on St Mary’s Road in Newquay, was inspected by the Private Sector Housing Team at Cornwall Council. A number of problems were uncovered, such as failures to fit fire alarms, fire doors and emergency lighting. The landlord of the house, Amanda de Gonville Morrison, was also accused in Bodmin… Read more »

Hazardous substances training: the COSHH basics

Posted: January 26th, 2011 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

If you work in or manage an environment where hazardous substances are stored or handled, the right health and safety training is absolutely vital. Without proper knowledge of the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Regulations 2002, the safety of both employees and visitors could be at risk. What is COSHH? COSHH is the set of regulations for employers governing how hazardous substances are controlled in the workplace. According to the regulations, employees can be protected from these substances… Read more »

The Globe Bar in Hertfordshire gutted by fire

Posted: January 25th, 2011 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

The Globe Bar in Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire, has been nearly completely destroyed in a fire that occurred last week. The fire at the High Street bar – located above the Villa Romana restaurant – broke out on the morning of Monday 17th January. Fire crews were called to the property at around 10.20am, but found that the fire had burnt out before they arrived. This was not necessarily a good sign however, as Rickmansworth watch commander Nick Ashman explained: “The flames… Read more »

Yate father thanks first aid training for ability to save son’s life

Posted: January 25th, 2011 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A father-of-two from Yate in South Gloucestershire has thanked first aid training for being able to save his young son’s life when he stopped breathing. Justin Blackett, 30, and his wife Charlie were able to give their son Finley mouth-to-mouth when he was taken ill and stopped breathing at just a few months old. Mr Blackett learned first aid at the tender age of nine, and now works for Bristol Children’s Hospital. He attributes the skills learned in his early… Read more »

Is it time to review your firm’s health and safety policies?

Posted: January 24th, 2011 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

There are countless rules and regulations to adhere to as an employer, especially when it comes to health and safety. Whilst they may seem overwhelming – leaving you wondering exactly where your responsibilities lie – health and safety rules are necessary to protect your employees whilst they are in the workplace. Health and safety risk assessment To adhere to the law, you or a “competent person” designated by you must undertake a health and safety risk assessment. This encompasses an… Read more »

Luton care home closed due to CQC safety concerns

Posted: January 24th, 2011 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

A care home in Luton, Bedfordshire, has been closed down by its owners after the Care Quality Commission (CQC) reportedly claimed it was unsafe for residents. The Griffin Care Centre has now been emptied of its 57 residents by owners Southern Cross, who received a warning from the CQC previously. The public body expressed concern over the standards of training for care staff at the nursing home, particularly with regards to how medication was administered. In one particular example, the… Read more »

Where to start with food safety training

Posted: January 23rd, 2011 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

If you are new to the food service or catering industry, or you have never undergone proper training, the right place to start is with a level 1 food safety course. The CIEH Level 1 award in food safety is designed to provide you with an introduction to the main issues and requirements relating to food safety and hygiene within certain industries. The skills you learn and the knowledge you gain on this sort of course will be applicable to… Read more »

Furniture store in Hartlepool damaged in fire

Posted: January 22nd, 2011 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A furniture store in Hartlepool has been nearly destroyed by a huge fire which broke out on Thursday (20th January), with the blaze also causing chaos in the local community. Police had to cordon off the area, shut down a power station and evacuate nearby properties as a result of the fire at Shields Interiors, a furniture shop on Whitby Street South. The alarm was raised at around 9.20 am on Thursday, although it is not known whether it was… Read more »

Scottish family praised for using first aid skills to help sick man

Posted: January 21st, 2011 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A family from Crieff in Perth and Kinross have been praised by Tayside Police for their fast actions and first aid knowledge after they helped a sick man in the street. The Goodwin family – consisting of Paula, David and their teenage daughter Bryony – were awarded a meritorious conduct certificate, a prize handed out by the police for ‘outstanding acts by public-spirited citizens’. Bryony Goodwin, 16, was walking to her South Bridgend house when she spotted the man, who… Read more »

Bupa fined for health and safety failings at Birmingham nursing home

Posted: January 20th, 2011 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

Private healthcare company Bupa Care Homes Ltd has reportedly been fined a total of £150,000 for health and safety failures at one of its nursing homes in Edgbaston, Birmingham. The failings at Bupa’s Amberley Court Nursing Home came to light under tragic circumstances. A 74-year-old woman, Brigid O’Callaghan, passed away at the home after an accident involving the belt of her wheelchair. Following an investigation, it was revealed that health and standards at the home were not at the level… Read more »

Training Courses