LinkedIn TutorCare on FaceBook TutorCare on Twitter
0800 781 2041

Blog Post - Page-14

Why it’s so important to involve employees in health and safety policy

Posted: September 8th, 2013 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

All workplaces need a robust set of health and safety policies in place to protect workers and visitors from harm. Without a proper system, your business could be left open to expensive lawsuits and compensation claims as well as putting your staff members at risk. One thing that many bosses forget when putting their health and safety policies in place is to actually involve their workers. You may not realise it, but your team can help you to spot risks,… Read more »

HSE confirms it will no longer approve first aid training

Posted: September 7th, 2013 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has confirmed that starting from October 2013, it will no longer approve first aid training and qualifications. As part of the change, employers will still be under a legal obligation to ensure adequate provision of trained first aiders with the right skills. However, the HSE will no longer approve companies and bodies which provide first aid training. What the organisation is doing is to provide employers with guidance, so that they can choose a… Read more »

Luton noodle restaurant breaches food safety laws

Posted: September 6th, 2013 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

A noodle restaurant in the Bedfordshire town of Luton has received a hefty fine after it was found to have seriously breached food hygiene regulations. Inspecting the How Cha Noodle Bar in July this year following a complaint from a customer about rodents, environmental health officers found evidence of a large rat infestation. The restaurant had no pest control measures in place, and there was also evidence of dirty equipment, utensils and food preparation areas. Another serious issue involved food… Read more »

Ilfracombe care home needs to take ‘urgent action’

Posted: September 5th, 2013 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A care home in the North Devon resort of Ilfracombe has been criticised by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) and told that it needs to take “urgent action” to improve. CQC inspectors carried out an unannounced inspection at the Regency Residential Care Home at the seaside resort back in July 2013. They found a number of issues, including: • Stained towels and some stained bed linen • Levels of staffing and care training amongst the home’s workers • Complaints procedures… Read more »

3 everyday situations in which first aid training could save a life

Posted: September 5th, 2013 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

People take first aid training courses for many reasons. Some are sent on first aid at work courses by their employers in order to meet regulations on first aid provision in workplaces, whilst others take the training for their job (i.e. nursery nurse, community group leader etc.). However, the skills you learn on such a training course can actually be used in many other parts of your life. Here are just three examples of everyday situations where having first aid… Read more »

Revealed: UK’s Most Disgusting Fast Food Chains

Posted: September 4th, 2013 by TutorCare comment-icon Comments disabled

"Would you like flies with that?" It’s not something that you might hear often when visiting your local fast food chain but TutorCare might give you some food for thought by revealing a list of poor performing fast food chains with a few facts on what could be your local take away haunt. The information was collected using data from the FSA (the UK Government’s Food Standards Agency) and contacting the relevant local authority for more information on low scoring… Read more »

Firm fined for health and safety breaches after apprentice injury

Posted: September 3rd, 2013 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

An engineering firm based in the Kent town of Dartford has been prosecuted and fined by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after safety breaches led to one of its apprentice workers suffering an electric shock. The incident occurred back in June 2012 when the 17-year-old apprentice, who hasn’t been named, was assisting a maintenance worker in moving a pillar-mounted crane. He climbed a ladder to plug in computer equipment once the crane was moved, and received an instant electric… Read more »

Carlisle nursing home praised by Care Quality Commission

Posted: September 3rd, 2013 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

A nursing home in Carlisle has been praised by the care watchdog, the Care Quality Commission (CQC), in a recent inspection report. After inspectors visited the Applegarth Nursing Home in an unannounced visit last July, a CQC report was released in which the home was praised for meeting six essential standards of care. These included: 1. Care and welfare of service users 2. Staffing 3. Meeting nutritional needs 4. Respecting and involving people who use services in their own care… Read more »

Food hygiene advice for community groups and events

Posted: September 2nd, 2013 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

Community events can be a great way to bring people together, whilst also raising money for a charity or other good cause. However, it is important to ensure that these events are carried out safely, especially where food products are served or sold to members of the public. Simply by observing some basic food hygiene rules and making sure every volunteer knows what standards are expected of them, members of the public can be protected against food poisoning and other… Read more »

9-year-old saves choking mum’s life using first aid training

Posted: August 29th, 2013 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

A nine-year-old boy from the West Yorkshire town of Bingley has been hailed as a hero after he saved his mother’s life when she started choking, using skills learnt at a first aid training course taken just a few days earlier. Schoolboy Kayne Holden was having dinner with his little brother and his mother Cherie when she started choking on a piece of food. She describes what happened: “I started to choke and couldn’t get air from anywhere. I pointed… Read more »

Training Courses

PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function curl_init() in D:\Websites\tutorcare.co.uk\wwwroot\blog\wp-content\plugins\twitter-tools\twitteroauth.php on line 201