LinkedIn TutorCare on FaceBook TutorCare on Twitter
0800 781 2041

Blog Post - Page-16

First aid kit advice pt.1 – what should be in a first aid kit?

Posted: August 13th, 2013 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

Having adequate first aid supplies is a very important part of any workplace’s health and safety measures, but it can be difficult to work out exactly what and how much you need. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) doesn’t stipulate what businesses should keep in their first aid kits, nor does the organisation endorse any particular products. However, you can get British Standard first aid kits for your workplace which generally contain all you need. These kits usually contain: •… Read more »

Poor fire safety standards at Sunderland hostel uncovered

Posted: August 12th, 2013 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

After being called to a fire at a hostel in Sunderland, firefighters have uncovered serious fire safety violations including fire doors that were shut and padlocked. The fire broke out at the Norfolk Hotel, a former 42-bed hotel that is now being used as a hostel accommodating 37 people, in November 2012. The blaze started in a bedroom, and firefighters discovered when they arrived on the scene that the nearest fire exit to this room was locked shut with a… Read more »

The importance of activities planning in care environments

Posted: August 12th, 2013 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

In addition to meeting primary needs, respecting dignity and privacy and caring for people using care services, care facilities and staff must also ensure their users have the best quality of life possible. A huge part of this, but one that is often overlooked, is a varied and stimulating schedule of activities. There are many benefits to planning activities for care home residents, such as improving wellbeing, health and quality of life. However, not just any programme of activities will… Read more »

Booths fined £27,500 for breaching food hygiene rules

Posted: August 8th, 2013 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

The supermarket chain Booths has been fined £27,500 after it pleaded guilty to breaching food safety regulations. The charges relate to a Booths store in Lytham, where food safety inspectors found products for sale that were past their sell-by date and an ox tongue that contained listeria bacteria. Commenting on the visit to the Lytham store, Fylde Council’s cabinet member for environment and partnerships, Councillor Tommy Threlfall said: “The council’s investigation of Booths revealed some quite shocking examples of ignorance… Read more »

Health and safety award for Wessex Water

Posted: August 8th, 2013 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

The water company Wessex Water has been presented with a prestigious award for its exceptional health and safety procedures. The gold award was presented to the company’s in-house construction firm, called Wessex Engineering Construction Services (WECS), by representatives from the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA). The gold award is the top prize awarded to UK businesses by the society. The gold awards were set up to try to raise standards for health and safety within all UK… Read more »

North West landlord fined for fire safety breaches

Posted: August 7th, 2013 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

A landlord in the North West town of Blackpool has been ordered to pay a fine of £36,000 after authorities found that he had breached fire safety rules at one of his rental properties. The fire safety breaches came to light after a fire broke out at the property on Clarence Street in Morecambe in July 2012. The blaze started when a tenant fell asleep while cooking, but the fire alarm did not sound. The property filled with smoke and… Read more »

Rail passengers in Leicester given basic first aid training

Posted: August 6th, 2013 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

Passengers on trains in Leicester have been given the vital skills and knowledge they need to potentially save the lives of fellow travellers after a first aid training session took place at Leicester rail station. As part of a first aid project headed by a first aid training specialist, rail passengers were given demonstrations of the action they’d need to take if they encountered someone who was choking, bleeding or suffering a heart attack. The demonstrations of crucial life-saving techniques… Read more »

CQC orders Cornwall care home to improve care standards

Posted: August 6th, 2013 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) has ordered a care home in Cornwall to make urgent improvements to its standards of care or it could face further action. The Cornwallis Nursing Home, which is located in St Ives and accommodates around 50 patients, was told that it needed to improve in seven major areas. Many of the improvements needed could be effected by improved care training for staff members, particularly in relation to respecting the privacy and dignity of residents. Issues… Read more »

How often does your workplace hold a fire drill?

Posted: August 5th, 2013 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

Can you remember the last time your workplace held a fire drill? A fire drill is when the fire alarm sounds, all employees exit the building through the predetermined escape routes and assemble a safe distance from the building. Fire marshals, employees who have received fire safety training, will lead the exercise and make sure everyone gets out of the building safely and that the drill goes smoothly. The fire marshals will also take a roll call of everyone when… Read more »

Takeaway shut down for food hygiene breaches including insect infestation

Posted: July 29th, 2013 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A takeaway restaurant in the suburban London district of Chingford has been shut down after food hygiene inspectors uncovered a serious insect infestation. The Chicks Chicken and Pizza restaurant was inspected by the council’s environmental health team after a member of the public called up with a complaint about a cockroach on a wall of the premises. In an unannounced visit, inspectors found to their horror that the business was infested with German cockroaches, which were everywhere from the walls… Read more »

Training Courses

Blog Directory & Business Pages - OnToplist.com

Healing Cloud
Search through a hand-picked selection of healing sites, and find the healing information you are looking for.