LinkedIn TutorCare on FaceBook TutorCare on Twitter
0800 781 2041

Blog Post - Page-24

Fine for Suffolk restaurant for food hygiene offences

Posted: June 20th, 2013 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A restaurant in Stowmarket in Suffolk has been fined £15,000 after food and safety officers from the local council uncovered a number of serious food hygiene issues. The problems at the Saffron restaurant were uncovered as part of an unannounced but routine inspection undertaken by officers from Mid Suffolk District Council (MDSC), who turned up at the premises in September 2012. They found that the restaurant was lacking a proper food safety management system, that the premises were dirty and… Read more »

North Tyneside care workers undergo fire safety training

Posted: June 19th, 2013 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

Care workers in the North Tyneside region have recently undergone fire safety training so that they will able to advice their home-based clients on how to stay safe. The fire safety training was delivered by the local fire service, although other carers wanting to improve fire safety awareness and knowledge can turn to private training companies for comprehensive courses too. The Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service delivered basic training to people involved in organisations such as Care Call,… Read more »

Care home in Morecambe awarded Gold Standard

Posted: June 19th, 2013 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A care home in Morecambe has received the prestigious Gold Standards Framework (GSF), an industry accreditation for excellence in providing people with end of life care. The Mayfair Residential Home, a family run facility capable of housing 45 residents, was given the award by the National GSF Centre after it proved that it is delivering the very highest standards of end of life and palliative care to its residents. All of the 40 staff members at the Mayfair had undergone… Read more »

Laundry firm fined for health and safety breaches following worker fall

Posted: June 18th, 2013 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A laundry firm based in Northamptonshire has been prosecuted and fined for health and safety breaches along with a North West London linen hire service, after an employee fell from a ladder and shattered her ankle. The employee was attempting clear a blockage in an industrial washing machine at AAA Linen Services’ Park Royal headquarters when the ladder slipped, sending the female worker plummeting to the floor. She shattered her left ankle and required 13 screws in her foot to… Read more »

First aid tips – concussion

Posted: June 18th, 2013 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

Whenever a person has received a significant bump or knock on the head, they should always be checked over just in case they have concussion. A person with concussion, caused by the brain being ‘shaken’ within the skull by a blow to the head, may seem fine at first but may develop more serious symptoms later on. If you have first aid training, you will be able to recognise the potential signs of concussion in a person who has had… Read more »

Newlyn seafood business accused of breaching food hygiene laws

Posted: June 13th, 2013 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A seafood processing business in the southwest Cornwall town of Newlyn is to be taken to court for prosecution over allegations that it breached food hygiene laws, possibly putting the health and safety of the public at risk. The owner of the crab processing business, Jacek Sylwester Fester, has pleaded ‘not guilty’ to the allegations made against him at Truro Magistrates’ Court. The local council is claiming that the business failed to provide employees with wash basins which had hot… Read more »

CQC issues damning report on West Yorkshire care home

Posted: June 13th, 2013 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A care home in Heckmondwike, a town in the West Yorkshire borough of Kirklees, is the subject of a damning new report by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) after it failed a recent inspection. The Claremont House care home, which is a council-run facility, was inspected by the CQC in February and March of this year. The inspections aimed to discover whether the home’s management had made improvements which had been noted in a previous inspection. During this inspection, the… Read more »

Survey finds 80pc of us are risking our health with poor food hygiene practices

Posted: June 12th, 2013 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

A new survey carried out by the Food Standards Agency has found that around 80 per cent of people are putting their health at risk by failing to carry out even basic food hygiene practices. The research, carried out as part of Food Safety Week running from 10th to 16th June, involved asking people about cooking at home and whether they carry out practices and procedures commonly included in basic food hygiene training courses. A staggering 80 per cent of… Read more »

Mother urges parents to take first aid training

Posted: June 12th, 2013 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

A woman from Culcheth in Cheshire whose daughter survived a terrifying choking incident has urged parents to undergo first aid training. Naomi Simpson did not know what to do when her daughter Hannah began choking on a piece of apple when sitting in her high chair ten years ago. All this time later, her mother still remembers how terrifying it was to see her one-year-old turn white and her lips start to turn blue, without having the first idea what… Read more »

Criticism for Winchester care home over falling standards of care

Posted: June 11th, 2013 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A care home in the Hampshire town of Winchester has been criticised by the health watchdog, the Care Quality Commission (CQC), after a recent inspection revealed that the home was failing to meet 9 out of 10 essential standards of care. The St Cross Grange care home was inspected by CQC officers in April 2013, just a month after its manager was struck off for failing to prevent an elderly woman choking to death back in 2009. The inspectors found… Read more »

Training Courses