LinkedIn TutorCare on FaceBook TutorCare on Twitter
0800 781 2041

Blog Post - Page-41

Why safety and first aid training is essential for teachers

Posted: January 16th, 2013 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

In a school environment, teachers and teaching support staff temporarily take on the roles of parents in ensuring that all pupils are safe and well looked after. This is known as acting in loco parentis (in the place of a parent). As teachers are responsible for the health and safety of children during school hours, it is vital that all teaching staff undergo the right safety training to prepare them for any emergency situation that may occur. By undertaking an… Read more »

North Yorkshire businesses perform poorly in fire safety audit

Posted: January 15th, 2013 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

According to the latest figures, many businesses in North Yorkshire are not properly adhering to fire safety regulations, potentially putting staff and customers in danger. North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service recently completed a lengthy fire safety audit of businesses operating in the area. For audits taking place between April 2011 and March 2012, a total of 1,416 businesses failed their fire safety audits. Nearly 40 of these underperforming businesses were handed enforcement orders by the fire service, requiring them… Read more »

Poole care home criticised by CQC over medication management

Posted: January 14th, 2013 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A care home in Poole has been criticised by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) after an announced inspection revealed poor management of residents’ medication. The Shores care home in Poole, which cares for people with learning disabilities and has a capacity of up to seven residents, was visited by CQC officers in November 2012. The inspectors found a few worrying problems relating to medication awareness training and management. For example: • Out of date medication was left in people’s medicine… Read more »

Swansea shop fined over food hygiene offences

Posted: January 14th, 2013 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

A convenience store in Swansea has been fined £5,000 over a series of food hygiene breaches, which included neglecting food safety training for staff and failing to keep the premises clean. The Premier Store in Fforestfach, which is managed by a firm known as Actseen, was found guilty of seven food safety breaches of the Food Hygiene (Wales) Regulations 2006. Officers from Swansea Council’s environmental health team visiting the shop in May 2012 on a routine inspection found a host… Read more »

First aid tips – asthma attacks

Posted: January 13th, 2013 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

As part of a first aid training course, you will learn how to deal with all kinds of allergic reactions. Asthma, a long-term condition which can be triggered by allergens and irritants in the environment, is amongst the most common you are likely to come across in everyday life. Most people with asthma have become adept at managing their condition and reacting to attacks. However, there are still situations in which your first aid training may be able to help… Read more »

Lincolnshire landlord fined over fire safety breaches

Posted: January 12th, 2013 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A landlord with a property in the Lincolnshire market town of Grantham has been prosecuted and fined after he was caught breaching fire safety regulations and endangering the lives of his tenants. Mr Hussein Dag was brought before Grantham Magistrates Court following an inspection by officers from Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service in 2012. A number of problems were found at Mr Dag’s property in the town’s Westgate area, indicating that the landlord had not taken the time to undergo… Read more »

Suffolk company fined over dangerous electrical fittings

Posted: January 11th, 2013 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A plastics manufacturing firm based in Suffolk has received a fine from Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court after the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found dangerous electrical fittings at its site. The company, Techplas, was first inspected by HSE officers in October 2011 over an unrelated issue. However, whilst visting the site in Sudbury, inspectors found a number of problems with the construction and maintenance of electrical system. Amongst the many problems found at the production site were the following:… Read more »

Inspection prompts concern over standards at Basildon care home

Posted: January 11th, 2013 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

A recent inspection by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) of a nursing home in Basildon has raised serious concerns about care standards and safety of elderly residents. The Ghyllgrove nursing home in Ghyllgrove, which is run by the private healthcare company Bupa and has nearly 170 residents, was inspected by the CQC after complaints were made. A large number of problems were outlined in the resulting inspection report, such as the following: • Poor levels of record keeping training amongst… Read more »

First aid tips – treating wounds and bleeding

Posted: January 10th, 2013 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

Amongst the most common types of medical emergency you are likely to come across in everyday life are wounds, cuts and bleeding. To be able to deal with these properly, it is recommended to undergo a first aid training course. However, here are a few of the basics that everyone needs to know about treating wounds and bleeding. Treating minor cuts and scratches When treating minor injuries, remember to: • Clean and dry your own hands before starting any treatment… Read more »

Residents evacuated after fire at Slough care home

Posted: January 9th, 2013 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

The residents of a care home in Slough were forced to evacuate their rooms last Wednesday (2nd January) after a fire broke out on the premises. Fire crews from Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service (RBFRS), operating from Slough Fire Station, were called to the Reach care home on Lower Cippenham Lane at just after midday. The smoke alarms in the building were set off by the blaze, alerting staff and residents to the danger. Around ten people were believed… Read more »

Training Courses