LinkedIn TutorCare on FaceBook TutorCare on Twitter
0800 781 2041

Blog Post - Page-54

Hay-making can be risky without the right training

Posted: June 7th, 2012 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A Lancashire farmer who was left paralysed by a falling hay bale is using his story as a warning to other farmers now that the hay-making is season is here. According to the Health and Safety Executive, eleven farm workers have died in baling incidents since this farmer had his own accident five years ago. He was just twenty-one at the time and was helping to stack silage bales for a neighbour’s farm when the incident occurred. Neither he nor… Read more »

Illegal shellfish are big business but they could destroy yours

Posted: June 5th, 2012 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

Illegal shellfish rustling is becoming an ever-increasing problem all across the U.K. and fears are growing that these illicit crops could be the source of serious outbreaks of food poisoning. The legal shellfish trade is highly regulated, with molluscs being subjected to stringent testing procedures before they go to market to ensure any levels of bacteria are within accepted limits. Shell fish ingest bacteria which then live on in their gut, and can be responsible for outbreaks of E. coli,… Read more »

Could garlic prevent food poisoning?

Posted: June 3rd, 2012 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A study published in The Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy describes the findings of a group of scientists based at Washington State University; namely, that a compound found naturally in garlic is more effective at fighting food poisoning bacteria than two types of antibiotic. Apparently, the derived compound, diallyl sulphide, was found to be one hundred times more effective than the antibiotics at tackling the Campylobacter bacteria, which is commonly found both on the surface of poultry skin and within the… Read more »

How failing to follow procedure can have catastrophic consequences

Posted: May 31st, 2012 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A wedding celebration is supposed to be one of the best days of any couple’s life, and yet for one couple, their wedding party had unforeseen consequences for their honeymoon as well as for almost half of their one hundred and eighteen guests. Little did they suspect, as they tucked into their chicken liver parfait, that it was unfit for human consumption because it had been cooked at 60°C rather than 75°C. Forty-nine people fell ill after the meal, with… Read more »

Baby’s life saved by team of dentists

Posted: May 30th, 2012 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

When a young mum’s ten month old baby appeared to have a seizure and stop breathing while they were at home, she panicked and ran out of the house with him and into a nearby dentists’ surgery. As luck would have it, the team on duty had all received first aid training just one week before the incident and were able to get him breathing again while they waited for an ambulance. Although the practice manager said it all happened… Read more »

Working with food safely

Posted: May 29th, 2012 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

The frequency with which food businesses are prosecuted for failing to follow even the most fundamental food hygiene rules, goes to show just how important food safety training and procedures are. They also illustrate how important it is never to take it for granted that members of staff understand the importance of food hygiene or how to maintain it. It is essential to make sure that even those who work in relatively low risk positions have received adequate training and… Read more »

Worker has tendons severed by unsafe machine

Posted: May 29th, 2012 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

A young worker from Telford had three tendons in his hand severed because the safety device on a bagging machine did not work. He had been employed by the sand and gravel supplier for just four months when the accident occurred. He was trying to clear a blockage from the bagging machine when he caught his hand on the device that seals the bags of gravel and sand. The machine was still running when the man put his hand inside… Read more »

The priorities of first aid

Posted: May 28th, 2012 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

A qualification in Emergency First Aid at Work can make all the difference in the event of an accident or illness occurring in the work place. The course covers a whole range of skills, including the priorities of first aid. It is essential to be able to assess a situation quickly, calmly and effectively and then take appropriate action. Time really is of the essence in an emergency, and having the knowledge and skills that allow swift and decisive action… Read more »

Textile firm fined for allowing untrained wool sorter access to dangerous machinery

Posted: May 27th, 2012 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A textile firm in Bradford has been fined having been found guilty of serious breaches of the Health and Safety at Work Act. The prosecution was brought about after a new member of staff who was employed as a wool sorter was asked to clean debris from a machine. When the thirty year old man, who had received no training with such machinery, started to do as he had been asked, his hand was dragged into the unguarded machine. By… Read more »

Policeman saves life with CPR

Posted: May 26th, 2012 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

A policeman from Corby has been awarded a Royal Humane Society Resuscitation Certificate for saving the life of a teenager who had stopped breathing. The eighteen year old had been out in Corby, and had taken drugs; he collapsed in the street and when the officer arrived on the scene he was lying prone. The policeman put him in the recovery position, but the young man then stopped breathing. Fearing that the teen was about to go into cardiac arrest,… Read more »

Training Courses

Blog Directory & Business Pages -

Healing Cloud
Search through a hand-picked selection of healing sites, and find the healing information you are looking for.