LinkedIn TutorCare on FaceBook TutorCare on Twitter
0800 781 2041

Blog Post - Page-55

Worker saves colleague from choking

Posted: June 11th, 2012 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

An oil terminal control room leader could have died after choking on a piece of chicken madras, had his colleague not stepped in to administer first aid. The control room leaser was eating alone when a piece of his curry became stuck in his windpipe. He tried unsuccessfully to dislodge the food by drinking water, and when he realised he was choking he went to seek help from colleagues in the adjoining mess room. When he came into the room… Read more »

Risky behaviour can lead to prosecution

Posted: June 9th, 2012 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

Prosecution for health and safety breaches does not always occur only following an accident or incident, as the director of an Ipswich roofing firm has found out to his cost. A member of the public saw the director and one of his employees working on the roof and, feeling concerned for their safety, reported them to the HSE. It was found that they had been using a petrol-powered disc-cutter while perched on the roof tiles, and had failed to use… Read more »

Basic food safety

Posted: June 8th, 2012 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

All employees working in the food industry need to have a basic understanding of food hygiene and how to reduce the risk of food poisoning, but some businesses fail to ensure that they are adhered to – at their cost if they are inspected by environmental health officers. Food safety training teaches employees how to keep customers safe, as well as the legislation in place. The simple rules of food safety are: • Handwashing – before and after touching food,… Read more »

Hay-making can be risky without the right training

Posted: June 7th, 2012 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A Lancashire farmer who was left paralysed by a falling hay bale is using his story as a warning to other farmers now that the hay-making is season is here. According to the Health and Safety Executive, eleven farm workers have died in baling incidents since this farmer had his own accident five years ago. He was just twenty-one at the time and was helping to stack silage bales for a neighbour’s farm when the incident occurred. Neither he nor… Read more »

Illegal shellfish are big business but they could destroy yours

Posted: June 5th, 2012 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

Illegal shellfish rustling is becoming an ever-increasing problem all across the U.K. and fears are growing that these illicit crops could be the source of serious outbreaks of food poisoning. The legal shellfish trade is highly regulated, with molluscs being subjected to stringent testing procedures before they go to market to ensure any levels of bacteria are within accepted limits. Shell fish ingest bacteria which then live on in their gut, and can be responsible for outbreaks of E. coli,… Read more »

Could garlic prevent food poisoning?

Posted: June 3rd, 2012 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A study published in The Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy describes the findings of a group of scientists based at Washington State University; namely, that a compound found naturally in garlic is more effective at fighting food poisoning bacteria than two types of antibiotic. Apparently, the derived compound, diallyl sulphide, was found to be one hundred times more effective than the antibiotics at tackling the Campylobacter bacteria, which is commonly found both on the surface of poultry skin and within the… Read more »

How failing to follow procedure can have catastrophic consequences

Posted: May 31st, 2012 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A wedding celebration is supposed to be one of the best days of any couple’s life, and yet for one couple, their wedding party had unforeseen consequences for their honeymoon as well as for almost half of their one hundred and eighteen guests. Little did they suspect, as they tucked into their chicken liver parfait, that it was unfit for human consumption because it had been cooked at 60°C rather than 75°C. Forty-nine people fell ill after the meal, with… Read more »

Baby’s life saved by team of dentists

Posted: May 30th, 2012 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

When a young mum’s ten month old baby appeared to have a seizure and stop breathing while they were at home, she panicked and ran out of the house with him and into a nearby dentists’ surgery. As luck would have it, the team on duty had all received first aid training just one week before the incident and were able to get him breathing again while they waited for an ambulance. Although the practice manager said it all happened… Read more »

Working with food safely

Posted: May 29th, 2012 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

The frequency with which food businesses are prosecuted for failing to follow even the most fundamental food hygiene rules, goes to show just how important food safety training and procedures are. They also illustrate how important it is never to take it for granted that members of staff understand the importance of food hygiene or how to maintain it. It is essential to make sure that even those who work in relatively low risk positions have received adequate training and… Read more »

Worker has tendons severed by unsafe machine

Posted: May 29th, 2012 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

A young worker from Telford had three tendons in his hand severed because the safety device on a bagging machine did not work. He had been employed by the sand and gravel supplier for just four months when the accident occurred. He was trying to clear a blockage from the bagging machine when he caught his hand on the device that seals the bags of gravel and sand. The machine was still running when the man put his hand inside… Read more »

Training Courses