LinkedIn TutorCare on FaceBook TutorCare on Twitter
0800 781 2041

Blog Post - Page-58

The dangers of working at height

Posted: May 15th, 2012 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

Working at height presents obvious risks to those who undertake it, making it essential for employers to provide safety measures designed to reduce the risks that workers are exposed to. Unfortunately for a roofer from Porthleven, his employer had done little to ensure his safety when he asked him to undertake re-roofing works at an industrial building in Penryn. He died after falling through a fragile asbestos cement roof, falling eight metres to the floor below. He was taken to… Read more »

HSE reviews guidance on portable appliance testing

Posted: May 14th, 2012 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

The HSE have issued revised guidance regarding the electrical testing of portable appliances due to concerns that low-risk businesses are paying too much to have them tested yearly. It is thought that unnecessary electrical testing is costing low-risk businesses around thirty million pounds a year. Although the law does not currently stipulate yearly testing, companies offering the service sometimes encourage businesses to commit to annual testing that is over the top. The law does require businesses to maintain electrical equipment… Read more »

How Burnley scores in the new Food Hygiene Rating Scheme

Posted: May 13th, 2012 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A total of seven hundred and seven food outlets have now been inspected in the borough of Burnley and have had their scores issued in the roll-out of the Food Standards Agency’s new food hygiene rating scheme. 35% of Burnley food outlets scored a full five stars for ‘very good’ standards, while 573 obtained a ‘satisfactory’ score or higher. All results are available on the FSA’s website. While a large proportion of food outlets have scores that will reassure consumers,… Read more »

Dustin Hoffman helps jogger struck by heart-attack

Posted: May 12th, 2012 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

Dustin Hoffman was taking a stroll one morning in Hyde Park when he saw a jogger suddenly collapse, falling forwards onto his face and frothing at the mouth. The emergency services were called and Hoffman waited with the stricken man until they arrived and were able to use a defibrillator. Emergency services say that Hoffman’s eyewitness information was valuable and helped them during the resuscitation, which took fifteen minutes. The story made me wonder how many of us would know… Read more »

Canley car parts firm suffers damage from fire

Posted: May 11th, 2012 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

Fire fighters were called to a car parts firm near Coventry when a fire was discovered in a mezzanine switch room located on the top floor of the three-storey building. When they arrived, employees had already been successfully evacuated, but the incident needed 12 fire engines and nearly sixty fire fighters to bring the blaze under control. The full extent of the damage is not yet known but the chief fire officer has credited the reactions of his staff with… Read more »

Would your business survive a fire?

Posted: May 5th, 2012 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

If you have invested your money, time, energy and passion in the creation and survival of your business, then surely you would do anything to avoid seeing it go up in flames? Imagine, just for a moment, what would happen if a fire started in your business premises; would it survive? It’s not just a question of losing objects: desks and computers and equipment can be replaced eventually. But fire can wipe out everything that allows your business to be… Read more »

Huge fine for carvery pub

Posted: May 4th, 2012 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A popular pub in Leicestershire was left reeling after a visit from food safety inspectors last year, who qualified the condition of the kitchen as ‘filthy’ and ‘extremely poor’. Inspectors found dirty pots and pans piled on the floor as well as evidence of insufficient cleaning: cooking utensils (ready to be used) were found sitting in dirty water with food (and even a fly) stuck to them, shelves in a fridge had blood and raw meat stuck to them, food… Read more »

Flintoff comes to rescue of unconscious cyclist

Posted: May 4th, 2012 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

Freddie Flintoff is currently on a charity bike ride that started at the site of the Olympics in ancient Greece and will finish at the Olympic Stadium in London. Unfortunately, the start of the bike ride was overshadowed by illness when fellow cyclist and Nintendo UK boss David Yarnton lost consciousness and fell from his bike. Thankfully for David, Flintoff had received first aid training and knew exactly how to react. He administered emergency first aid and moved Mr Yarnton… Read more »

Falmouth Beach Hotel fire not thought to be suspicious

Posted: May 3rd, 2012 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A fire devastated a large and popular seafront hotel in Cornwall earlier this week leaving the town of Falmouth with one hundred and twenty fewer rooms for visitors (and a smouldering eyesore) right at the beginning of the tourist season. It took more than seven hours and a hundred fire fighters to bring the fire under control, with the complicated layout of the hotel making the task in hand very difficult. The strong winds also hampered efforts as they fanned… Read more »

The importance of keeping hands clean

Posted: May 3rd, 2012 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

It may seem like a rather silly statement: if you work in a food outlet, you need to keep your hands clean in order to prevent the contamination of food or the spread of infection. Once you start to read reports of recent prosecutions for breaches of food hygiene regulations, you begin to realise just how difficult it seems to be to maintain clean hands. In some places, employees are not even provided with the basics: a washbasin, soap, hot… Read more »

Training Courses