LinkedIn TutorCare on FaceBook TutorCare on Twitter
0800 781 2041

Blog Post - Page-67

170 Edinburgh food outlets failed hygiene inspections in 2011

Posted: February 24th, 2012 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

Cafés, restaurants and takeaways are regularly subjected to hygiene inspections in order to check whether they comply with food safety standards that have been put into place to protect public health. Last year in Edinburgh, a total of one hundred and seventy establishments failed to meet the standards expected, and failed their inspections. Common reasons for failing include rodent and insect infestations, a lack of adequate hand washing facilities, and the failure to implement and respect food hygiene procedures. Out… Read more »

£25,500 fine for tour bus operator

Posted: February 23rd, 2012 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

The Health and Safety Executive decided to prosecute a London sightseeing company after one of its mechanics was seriously injured by one of its buses. The man was working underneath the open-topped bus which was raised on wooden blocks and column vehicle lifts, when one of the blocks broke. The axle dropped onto the mechanic, breaking his pelvis and several ribs. Even though the accident occurred in 2009, the mechanic still suffers from pain. The HSE found that a failure… Read more »

Were your first aiders prepared for the cold weather?

Posted: February 22nd, 2012 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

The cold snap that has descended on the UK this February brings with it challenges and difficulties that we are familiar with: disruptions to travel, the risk of hypothermia and the increased risk of injury. It is always important to have a confident and qualified first aider in the workplace, whatever the weather, but this is particularly true when climatic conditions can make life difficult. First aid training to cover first aid at work equips employees with the knowledge and… Read more »

Working with asbestos

Posted: February 21st, 2012 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

The regulations concerning handling and working with asbestos are clear: it is classed as a hazardous substance with serious health implications, and those working with it need to be aware of the risks involved and how to manage them in compliance with the regulations. Unfortunately, for a family undertaking a home refurbishment in Bradford-on-Avon, the contractors they had employed breached these regulations, putting the inhabitants and workers at risk. The company’s employees had failed to recognise that ceiling boards were… Read more »

Good news for restaurateurs and hoteliers

Posted: February 20th, 2012 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

There has been much made of Trip Advisor reviews in recent times, as business owners begin to fight back against potentially harmful and inaccurate anonymous reviews. Now, however, there is a real opportunity for restaurateurs and hoteliers to really fight back against unsubstantiated claims of food poisoning. The Advertising Standards Agency has already ruled that Trip Advisor cannot claim to offer trustworthy reviews. This ruling is due to reports that some reviewers do not leave objective reviews, while others use… Read more »

Circular saw removes man’s finger tip

Posted: February 19th, 2012 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A company that produces air conditioning units has been fined after an employee sliced off the tip of his finger while using a circular saw. The Health and Safety Executive’s subsequent investigation found a catalogue of errors that resulted in prosecution for the offending employer: • The top guard of the saw was incorrectly positioned • Protection devices were not being used • An emergency stop control button on the circular saw did not work • Braking on the machine… Read more »

Working at height awareness reduces the risk of injury from falling

Posted: February 18th, 2012 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

Those working in the construction and agricultural industries may be called upon at some point to undertake some kind of working at height. In this case, they need to be made aware of the risks this type of work involves. These industries are among the most dangerous, and falls from height represent the most common cause of both fatality and serious injury, making adequate health and safety training and safety measures absolutely indispensable. This is illustrated by the case of… Read more »

The danger of moving machinery parts

Posted: February 17th, 2012 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

Injuries caused by moving machinery parts can be devastating and life-changing for those who have accidents. They can also cost employers very dearly, especially if they are found to have failed to implement safety measures to prevent such incidents. A fencing company has found this out to their cost, despite having received advice and warnings in the past about their safety measures in place on machines. A worker was attempting to mend a wire break on a wire drawing machine,… Read more »

Protect your employees and business with fire safety training

Posted: February 17th, 2012 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

It is essential for any business to fully understand the risk of fire at their premises, whatever their industry or activity. Fire is a real threat, whether in offices or warehouses, and the risk can only be reduced if a risk assessment is carried out and employees receive fire safety training. When a fire breaks out, the consequences can be devastating and far-reaching, as demonstrated by a fire that broke out in warehouses in London at the end of January…. Read more »

Neglect at Manchester care home results in death of war veteran

Posted: February 16th, 2012 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

AN inquest into the death of an eighty-three year old war veteran has been told that his death was the result of neglect on the part of care home workers who should have been looking after him. The inquest heard that when the man developed an ulcer on his leg, the care home failed to take care of him properly. Although they called the man’s GP on first noticing the ulcer, they did not call the doctor again or notify… Read more »

Training Courses