LinkedIn TutorCare on FaceBook TutorCare on Twitter
0800 781 2041

Blog Post - Page-77

Undercooked liver causes food poisoning

Posted: December 21st, 2011 by TutorCare comment-icon Comments disabled

So far in 2011, there have been 18 outbreaks of one particular form of food poisoning, with over 440 people becoming unwell as a result, although only one required hospital treatment. The culprit? Campylobacter, the most common form of bacterial food poisoning. It can cause various symptoms, from stomach pain and cramps, diarrhoea and fever. Vomiting is unusual and most people do recover within a week. Recent figures released by the Health Protection Agency have shown rather worryingly, however, that… Read more »

£5,000 fine for hotel after teenage employee injured by rotary iron

Posted: November 30th, 2011 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A hotel in the North Yorkshire town of Filey has been fined a total of £5,000 after a teenage employee was injured and left permanently scarred by a commercial rotary iron used on the premises. The 17-year-old, who has not been named, suffered burns to three of her fingers in the incident, which occurred at the Downcliffe House Hotel in May of this year. She had to be treated in Pinderfields Hospital, which specialises in treating burns victims. An investigation… Read more »

Bath landlord fined for fire safety breaches

Posted: November 29th, 2011 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

Bath & North East Somerset Council has revealed that it has successfully prosecuted a landlord who was breaching numerous fire safety regulations at a house he owned in the Bath area. Mr Hei Ting Chung was prosecuted following a complaint, and a subsequent inspection of The Oval premises by officers from the council’s Housing Services Team. They found fire alarms which did not work, door locks that were unsuitable and could trap residents in the event of a fire, and… Read more »

Investigation launched into Manchester Lowry hotel food poisoning outbreak

Posted: November 27th, 2011 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A detailed investigation has been launched by health officials after around 80 guests were affected by a food poisoning outbreak at the Lowry Hotel in Greater Manchester. The incident occurred last month when a charity dinner was hosted at the five-star Lowry Hotel in Salford. Around 80 diners reported feeling dizzy and suffering from vomiting after the event, and it is now suspected that they had been exposed to a bug known as campylobacter, which is caused by undercooked meat…. Read more »

Country club given scathing review for cleanliness

Posted: November 27th, 2011 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

An upmarket leisure resort and country club near Barton-under-Needwood in Staffordshire has received a scathing report on its hygiene and cleanliness, following an inspection by the council’s environmental health team. Earlier this month, the Wychnor Park Country Club was visited by a council inspector, who found a number of breaches of food safety regulations. These included blocked drains, dirty dish washing areas, broken crockery left lying around, dirty floors, broken refrigerators and some improper storage of food items. In response… Read more »

West Cumbrian care home falling short of required standards

Posted: November 26th, 2011 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A care home in West Cumbria has been identified as falling short of the required quality standards, and new admissions to the home have been suspended as a result. The Riverside Court Care Home in Maryport, which is run by Four Seasons Health Care, was inspected by council officials and was found to be failing at least 17 different care criteria. There were issues with dispensing and stocking medication, as well as care training and supervision for staff, quality monitoring… Read more »

South Yorkshire construction firm wins health and safety award

Posted: November 25th, 2011 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A construction firm with offices throughout the UK has won a prestigious health and safety award at the Celebrating Construction in South Yorkshire Awards Ceremony. At the event, held in Sheffield’s Cutlers’ Hall, the high calibre of work within all tiers of Yorkshire’s construction and property industry was celebrated. Everyone was present from building firms and development companies to designers and end-users, but the one to scoop the coveted Health and Safety Award was VINCI Construction UK. After all entries… Read more »

A quick guide to retail and licensing training and qualifications

Posted: November 24th, 2011 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

If you are a manager or a supervisor of a licensed premises, you will to undergo certain training in order to legally meet the demands and responsibilities of your position. The same goes for staff members hoping to obtain a promotion to one of these positions. There are two main qualifications available in England and Wales. There are separate qualifications available for people who work in licensed premises in Scotland, where regulations and licensing laws are different. National Certificate for… Read more »

New first aider helps car accident victim

Posted: November 23rd, 2011 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A newly qualified first aider was able to put his skills into practice just an hour after completing a first aid training course when a 12-year-old girl was knocked down by a car. Ben McAdam had just completed a three-day first aid training course when he saw a young girl hit by a car in Chester-le-Street. She had run out from behind a bus when she was struck by the vehicle, leaving her lying on the side of the road… Read more »

Paignton Zoo owners praised for food safety standards

Posted: November 23rd, 2011 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

The charity which runs Paignton Zoo along with a number of other enterprises has been praised by official bodies for excellent food hygiene standards at its premises. The Whitley Wildlife Conservation Trust, which is based in Devon, received a five-star rating from the Food Standards Agency (FSA) for catering facilities and food hygiene standards in both Paignton Zoo and Living Coasts in Torquay. Paignton Zoo’s Amanda Smallshaw commented on the award, saying: “We are delighted to be among Torbay’s five-star… Read more »

Training Courses