LinkedIn TutorCare on FaceBook TutorCare on Twitter
0800 781 2041

Blog Post - Page-86

Fire safety training and its importance in care environments

Posted: September 13th, 2011 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

Fire safety training is an essential for any business, organisation or premises which admits members of the public. It ensures all necessary precautions are taken against fire and teaches all staff members what to do in an emergency. In short, it can save lives and protect property. Health and social care environments are generally staffed by people who have undergone extensive care training on how to look after vulnerable, ill and elderly people and how to meet their needs. One… Read more »

People put off first aid training for fear of getting it wrong, charity claims

Posted: September 12th, 2011 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

According to a new survey conducted by a leading first aid charity, a considerable number of people are put off learning first aid for fear that they will get it wrong. The British Red Cross has conducted a poll of over 2,000 adults ahead of World First Aid Day, which takes place on Saturday 10th September. Researchers found that as many as two-thirds of the people they asked shied away from learning vital first aid skills because they thought it… Read more »

Chesham takeaway owners fined for failing to improve food hygiene standards

Posted: September 11th, 2011 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

The owners of a takeaway in the Buckinghamshire town of Chesham have been fined for failing to improve food hygiene standards at their premises. Eshan and Usman Ghani, who are brothers, were prosecuted by Chiltern District Council (CDC) after environmental health officers uncovered numerous problems at their Broad Street takeaway, Mighty Bite. The premises was first inspected back in January 2009, and officers identified that the owners of the takeaway did not have sufficient food safety management systems in place…. Read more »

HSE prosecutes Somerset firm over engineering accident

Posted: September 10th, 2011 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

An engineering firm based in Somerset has been prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after a work accident resulted in an employee losing four fingers. The incident occurred when apprentice machinist Kyle Bishop, 18, was working at the premises of Ashley’s of Yeovil in West Hendford. He was attempting to change the cutter of a milling machine when he accidentally switched it on, severing four of his fingers. An investigation by the HSE has found that the accident… Read more »

A quick guide to protecting your business premises from fire

Posted: September 10th, 2011 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

As a business owner, it is vitally important that you take all reasonable steps to protect your employees and your work premises from fire. There are many things you can do to make your business safer and reduce the risk of fire, and most of these are legal requirements. The following are a few basic steps to protecting your business from fire: • Appoint a ‘responsible person’ for fire safety, or take on the role yourself • Undergo fire safety… Read more »

Chatburn care home honoured with Gold Standard award

Posted: September 8th, 2011 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

A care home based in the East Lancashire village of Chatburn has received a Gold Standard award for its exceptional quality end of life care service. The Manor House Nursing Home was honoured with the national award as part of the Gold Standards Framework (GSF) in the Care Homes Quality Hallmark Awards. Management and staff at the home accepted the prestigious award at the International End of Life Care Conference in London. The Gold Standards Framework aims to support facilities… Read more »

Manchester housing developers fined for fire safety breaches

Posted: September 7th, 2011 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

Two housing developers have been fined more than £14,000 over fire safety breaches in student properties in Manchester. The developers, which are both part of the MCR Group, were prosecuted over standards at the 55-flat building on Grafton Street in Ardwick. Council inspectors visiting the property found a number of breaches of fire safety regulations, including: • Windows vital for smoke ventilation were obscured by scaffolding • Insufficient access for the fire service in an emergency • Lack of external… Read more »

Why do I need to go on a first aid refresher course?

Posted: September 6th, 2011 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

First aid training can be immensely valuable for employees, as well as for businesses needing to comply with legislation on first aid provision. The skills you learn on a first aid training course can help you to save lives in almost any situation, so it is well worth signing up. However, it is also important to keep your first aid skills sharp and your knowledge up to date. This is why all first aiders must go on refresher courses on… Read more »

Ten school canteens in North Wales fail food safety checks

Posted: September 5th, 2011 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

According to a report published by a consumer watchdog, as many as ten school canteens in North Wales are failing to meet food hygiene standards. The Food Standard Agency (FSA) investigated a number of schools in North Wales as part of its Food Hygiene Rating Scheme, and found that many were not up to scratch. Of those identified as poorly performing, two were in Denbighshire and eight were in Gwynedd. These schools were given a score of two or below,… Read more »

Printing firm in court over fatal employee accident

Posted: September 4th, 2011 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

The owners of a printing firm based in the Fengate area of Cambridgeshire in Peterborough has appeared in court over health and safety breaches which may have led to the death of an employee. The case centres on worker Ian Ebbs, who lost his life back in October 2008 when a printing press he was attempting to repair crushed him. During the night shift, a paddle wheel from the machine swung down and fell on Mr Ebbs, who was 43… Read more »

Training Courses