LinkedIn TutorCare on FaceBook TutorCare on Twitter
0800 781 2041

Blog Post - Page-94

Refuse worker saves toddler’s life just weeks after completing first aid training

Posted: June 22nd, 2011 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A refuse worker who was on his daily rounds in Middlesbrough was able to save a little girl’s life after she suffered a fit, by giving her emergency first aid. Paul Thompson, 34, had completed a first aid training course just weeks before the incident occurred on June 9th, 2011. He was emptying bins on Melsonby Avenue in Middlesbrough when local woman Anne Tierney ran out of the house carrying her two-year-old granddaughter Farrah Appleby, who had suffered a seizure…. Read more »

Inspectors report malnourishment and dehydration risk at Taunton care home

Posted: June 21st, 2011 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

Inspectors from the Care Quality Commission (CQC) have reported that residents at the Ruishton Court Nursing Home in Taunton are “at risk of malnourishment and dehydration”. A number of issues were raised at the Henlade care home, including problems with safeguarding, poor nutritional leadership, staffing, care training and record-keeping. Due to inadequate care planning, inspectors believed that the health and welfare of residents was at risk. It was found that whilst residents who could communicate to a certain level were… Read more »

Fire drill training: the 5 things every employee should know

Posted: June 20th, 2011 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

Fire drills are a very important part of workplace safety, but they require a surprising amount of planning and organisation. This is why it is essential for each and every kind of working environment to have at least one fully trained fire marshal, a responsible person able to carry out the company’s fire evacuation plan and give vital safety information to other employees. A person who has undergone a fire marshall training course will be able to ensure that everyone… Read more »

Rutherglen town hall café praised for food safety standards

Posted: June 19th, 2011 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

A café situated in Rutherglen Town Hall in South Lanarkshire has been commended by the Food Standards Agency (FSA) for its excellent food hygiene standards. The café was inspected by South Lanarkshire Council’s environmental health team on a routine visit and impressed inspectors so much with its dedication to food safety and hygiene that they recommended it for an award. Accordingly, the Rutherglen Town Hall café was presented with the FSA’s Eat Safe food hygiene award. The award is given… Read more »

Burnley primary school criticised for food hygiene failings

Posted: June 18th, 2011 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A primary school in the Lancashire town of Burnley has been criticised by environmental health officials after its food hygiene standards were found to be far from satisfactory. The Whittlefield Primary School, located on Tabor Street, was inspected last February by the council’s food hygiene team, which is undertaking inspections of nearly 1,000 premises in the area. Following the inspection, the school was awarded just one out of five stars in the newly-introduce food hygiene rating scheme, a score which… Read more »

Preventing abuse in health and social care environments

Posted: June 17th, 2011 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

Abuse, whether violent or otherwise, should never happen in a care environment. Sadly though, it does occur and it remains a huge challenge for those actively working to eradicate it within the health and social care sector. There are a number of ways in which care workers can contribute to the fight against abuse, but it all starts with receiving the proper training. Depending of course on the type of care environment you work in, the following courses could be… Read more »

Two Plymouth companies fined after worker fractures pelvis

Posted: June 16th, 2011 by Craig comment-icon 1

Following a work accident in which an employee suffered a fractured pelvis, two companies based in Plymouth have been fined for breaching health and safety regulations. Both CL Electrical solutions Ltd and HT Gardner Distribution Ltd were brought before Plymouth Crown Court after worker Tom Davis suffered a work accident. Davis, a trainee electrician, was working at HT Gardner’s Plympton site at the time of the incident. He was asked to replace lightbulbs on the ceiling of the warehouse, and… Read more »

The key elements of infection control

Posted: June 15th, 2011 by Eloise comment-icon Comments disabled

Infection control is one of the most essential parts of the infrastructure of health care, although unfortunately it is also one of the most overlooked and under-supported. There are many elements to infection control, and people working within healthcare environments should be aware of all of them in order to avoid an epidemic which could end up affecting public health. These elements include: • Prevention – this relates to cleaning, sterilisation and disinfection, hygiene, vaccination and surveillance • Monitoring and… Read more »

Care home worker resigns over incorrect medicine dispensation

Posted: June 14th, 2011 by Dermot comment-icon Comments disabled

A staff member of a care home in Aberdeenshire has reportedly resigned after the home’s manager was informed that some patients were not given the right medication. The management team at the Havencourt nursing home were informed of the incident was from a colleague of the former employee who expressed concerns that improper medicine dispensation had taken place during a recent night shift. The nurse claimed that the member of staff on duty that night failed to give a dose… Read more »

Fire breaks out at east Belfast care home

Posted: June 13th, 2011 by Craig comment-icon Comments disabled

An elderly resident of a care home in east Belfast has been rushed to hospital after a fire broke out on the premises. The fire at the Victoria Park Care Home started last Sunday (12th June) at around 9pm at night. It was believed to have started in a ground floor room, although the cause of the fire has not yet been established. However, reports have suggested that an elderly resident from the home had to be led out of… Read more »

Training Courses