Michelin-starred restaurant The Fat Duck, owned by celebrity chef Heston Blumenthal, was famously forced to close its doors in 2009 following an outbreak of the Norovirus.
An academic journal is now claiming that many cases of infection could have been avoided if the restaurant had informed the authorities sooner. Two hundred and forty people eventually claimed that they had contracted the virus at the restaurant, and yet, the authorities were only informed after sixty-six complaints from the public.
The Fat Duck finally reported the problem six weeks after the first case was reported, making investigation difficult. Although it was finally decided that the virus had come from shellfish or oysters that had been infected at source, the delay could have meant that more people became ill.
This case demonstrates how quick action is necessary in any case of food poisoning. Delays can only result in difficulties finding the source of the contamination and in the potential spreading of illness.
Food safety training provides the necessary knowledge that enables those working with food to act appropriately when problems occur. It also helps to reduce the likelihood of outbreaks in the first place.