A grocery shop in the London Borough of Southwark has been fined at Camberwell Green Magistrates’ Court after a number of food hygiene failings were uncovered at the premises.
Environmental health officers from Southwark Council visited the Harper Road shop in February as part of a routine inspection, but they were shocked at what they found. Along with poor cleanliness levels and an evident lack of food safety training, there was also what appeared to be a serious mouse infestation at the store.
Inspectors also found the management of the shop to be below the expected standard, and some of the food sold at the shop was unfit for consumption as it was contaminated with mouse droppings.
After shutting the shop to protect public health, the council decided to prosecute shop owner Zarar Ahmed Mir. He pleaded guilty to all 8 charges made against him, all of which were breaches of the Food Hygiene (England) Regulations 2006. He was fined a total of £6,000 and ordered to pay £1,215 in court costs.
Councillor Richard Livingstone said of the case:
“We routinely see a good standard of food preparation maintained by food outlets across Southwark.
“Unfortunately, instances like this show us that we need to continue to be proactive whilst maintaining a tough stance on offenders who put the health of our residents at risk.”