The owner of a former takeaway in Swindon town centre has been ordered to pay more than Â£5,000 in fines and legal costs after a number of serious health and safety breaches were uncovered at the premises.
Gustan Mahmood, the former owner of the Princestonâ€™s Grill restaurant on Market Street, was inspected by environmental health officers from Swindon Council. This inspection resulted in prosecution proceedings, as officers found mould growing on food items, improper storage of food, and other unhygienic conditions. Staff did not seem to have undergone the proper food safety training, and no food safety management system seemed to be in place at the takeaway.
Mr Mahmood, whilst insisting that he had been on a food hygiene training course, nonetheless pleaded guilty to 10 charges of breaching health and safety regulations. He was fined Â£2,900 and ordered to pay Â£3,087 in court costs. The Princetonâ€™s Grill restaurant closed down soon after the inspection and has since been replaced by another business.
The prosecutor on the case, Phil Wirth, said:
â€œIt was clear to the officers that Mr Mahmood has a poor understanding of his obligations to maintain the appropriate level of food hygiene within the premises.
â€œThese offences relate to matters affecting public health and safety, failing to comply with requirements of food safety and health and safety regulations, exposing the public to significant health risks.â€