Anaphylaxis is a relatively rare condition, causing between twenty and thirty deaths every year in the UK. For those who are prone to anaphylaxis, though, it can be life-threatening and an attack should always be treated as a medical emergency.
Anaphylaxis is essentially a severe allergic reaction that can affect many systems within the body, and is generally triggered by a specific allergen such as bee stings or a certain food type. People who know about their allergy will often carry identification as well as an auto-injector of adrenalin.
Anaphylaxis first aid training courses can be valuable in the workplace, particularly if there is a known problem. Having a first-aider on-site, who knows how to react in the case of an attack, can significantly reduce the risks associated with such an attack. The first aider can also help to minimise the exposure to the trigger in the first place.
The training course is ideal for those working both with adults and children. The course deals with the recognition of allergic reactions, as well as equipping first aiders with the skills necessary for treatment, such as administering auto-injectors and CPR. If anaphylaxis is treated promptly, full recovery is likely, with no long-term health complications.