A father-of-two from Yate in South Gloucestershire has thanked first aid training for being able to save his young sonâ€™s life when he stopped breathing.
Justin Blackett, 30, and his wife Charlie were able to give their son Finley mouth-to-mouth when he was taken ill and stopped breathing at just a few months old.
Mr Blackett learned first aid at the tender age of nine, and now works for Bristol Childrenâ€™s Hospital. He attributes the skills learned in his early first aid training â€“ and subsequent courses undertaken to refresh his knowledge â€“ to his son being alive today. He said:
“We just did what we had been trained to do and it was only afterwards that we realised how traumatic it had been.
“Finley had stopped breathing three or four times over a period of time as a result of his airways becoming irritated by acid from his tummy. He has been treated for reflux and apart from watching what he eats, is fine now.”
Mr Blackwell is now urging others to undergo even the most basic first aid training course, as it can give you the skills to potentially save a life in an emergency.