The owners of a café based in Brighton have reportedly been fined more than £14,000 after environmental health inspectors uncovered a number of food hygiene violations.
The North Road café, called Tiffany’s, was inspected by Brighton and Hove City Council officers in February last year and March this year. In the earlier inspection, problems such as damage to equipment, lack of food safety training and a risk of cross-contamination were uncovered.
The situation was not looking much better in the most recent inspection, as council officers found:
• Dirty floors, fridges and fridge handles
• A damaged fridge and freezer
• Build-up of dirt and grease on a hot plate and a deep fat fryer
• Food left uncovered
• Rubbish left behind a freezer
As well as being given a ‘zero’ rating as part of the council’s food hygiene rating the scheme, the café was also subject to prosecution at Brighton Magistrate’s Court. Its owners will now have to pay over £14,000 in fines and legal expenses, as well as making urgent improvements to their premises and food safety practices.
Commenting on the case, Councillor Ben Duncan said:
“This was an extreme breach of the food hygiene regulations and customers’ health was clearly put at risk.
“Fortunately most food outlets in the city are reputable and take food hygiene seriously but, when standards drop, the council will act swiftly to take appropriate action.”