Specialist care training – what is it?

As a carer working in the health care sector, it is crucial that every patient is afforded the correct support and care. Specialist care training courses can provide the skills and knowledge necessary to complete a range of specialist tasks, including the management of instances relating to conflict or challenging behaviour. Continue reading “Specialist care training – what is it?”

The Importance of End of Life Care

End of life care is also referred to as EoLC. Many people have the misconception that such healthcare option is only available for those who are literally spending the last hours or days of their lives. But this is not true. End of life care is a broad term that also encompasses patients with terminal illnesses or conditions that will become worse with time are incurable.

The end of life is one truth that no one can deny. We are all going to reach old age. As we grow old, we lose our abilities to maintain the quality of life. This is why we need support from others. Every human being has the right

End of life care
End of life care and support for patients and family members

to be comfortable and content even when they are fast approaching their final day. On the other hand, we have patients who are faced with terminal health conditions. Such patients have a harder time as many are not even old. They too deserve to maintain a sense of normalcy despite death being the inevitable result. Continue reading “The Importance of End of Life Care”

Lone working training: why is it so important?

People working by themselves, such as those working in home care environments or in intensive residential establishments, can face a number of personal health and safety risks. They also face different challenges to carers working as part of a team in a nursing home or a hospital.

Health and safety is a big issue with lone working, and home carers in particular are at risk from exposure to infection, slips, trips and falls and even violence and abuse. This is why it is important for carers to be trained in proper health and safety practices, as well as strategies which may reduce any risks faced on the job.

It is not only the carer who benefits from a lone worker training programme. The quality of care the patient or resident receives is also improved if you, as a carer, have received training on the challenges facing lone workers. These challenges include lifting and moving those receiving care, as well as the legal duties lone working carers have towards the people they look after.

With the right training, lone working carers can learn how to significantly improve the quality of life for elderly, vulnerable and disabled people throughout their careers.

QCF NVQ Diploma in Health and Social Care: FAQs

1. Why has the name changed to QCF?
The Qualifications and Credit Framework is the new way of recognising vocational (work-related) achievement. Credits are awarded, allowing employees a more flexible way of achieving qualifications that allows them to progress at their own pace.

2. Who is the QCF Diploma in Health and Social Care aimed at?
Levels 2 and 3 are aimed at those working in all social care settings, whether with adults or children. Level 5 is for those who lead social care provision either as managers or senior practitioners.

3. How are awards calculated?
Each unit of learning or qualification will be awarded two values: a credit value and a level. The credit value will be representative of the amount of learning time needed to complete the unit. The levels range from entry level to Level 8, and the qualification level represents the level of difficulty of the unit or qualification.

4. How do the qualifications compare to the old NVQs?
This new framework is a complex one; as such it offers much greater flexibility to employees, and the opportunity to obtain tailor-made qualifications that suit the specific needs of their industry. Unfortunately, this makes it difficult to make direct comparisons with the old awards and qualifications system.

A quick look at retail licensing qualifications

When you work within the licensed retail sector, there are certain qualifications you may need to attain. If you are feeling a little confused as to what all the qualifications are and which you need to go on a retail licensing training course to attain, this guide should prove very helpful.


This is the Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (SCPLH) Level 5, and it is for anyone who is in a role in which they are required to authorise retail sales of alcohol (i.e. managers, supervisors etc.). It is the qualification needed to apply for a Personal Licence to sell alcohol in Scotland.


This is the Scottish Award for Licensed Premises Staff (SALPS), and it is for anyone in a job that involves serving alcohol in licenced premises (other than the holder of a Personal Licence).


This is the National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (NCPLH) Level 2, and it is for managers and supervisors in retail licensing roles. It is the qualification needed to apply for a Personal Licence in England and Wales.


This is the National Diploma for Designated Premises Supervisor (NDDPS) Level 3, and it is for anyone who has been named the designated premises supervisors in licensed premises.


This is the Award for Under Age Sales Prevention (AUASP) Level 2, and it is a qualification to ensure anyone working in the licensed retail industry knows the law in relation to age restricted products and underage drinking and sales.

An NVQ could be your route into a career in health and social care

Getting started in any new career can be difficult, but in the field of health and social care, a lot of hard work and training is required of any new applicant.

Luckily, there are a few different care training courses you can take to get you off to a great start in your new career in health and social care. The main course that most new applicants take is the QCF NVQ Diploma in Health and Social Care (Level 2), which as of January 2011, replaced the old NVQ Level Health and Social Care qualification.

The nationally recognised QCF NVQ Diploma in Health and Social Care (Level 2) qualification will give you a thorough grounding in everything you need to know to start your new career and find employment.

It covers introductions to:

• Communications
• Personal development
• Equality and inclusion
• Duty of care
• Safeguarding and protection
• Person-centred approaches to health and social care
• Information handling
• Health and safety
• The role of the health and social care worker

Once you have completed this course, which takes roughly 6 to 9 months, and passed your assessments, you can move on to more advanced qualifications if you wish.

Retail and licensing qualifications explained – England and Wales

When you run a premises which sells or serves alcohol, you are required by law to hold a personal licence of some sort, depending on the nature of the premises and your position in the business. This means that along with the usual health and safety training, you will also need to undergo training in order to get your licence.

Many retail and licensing training courses are available, but it can be tricky to know which you should be undertaking. It becomes particularly complicated where abbreviations for the different qualifications are used. To help make things clearer, here are the main personal licence training qualifications for England and Wales explained (Scottish qualifications will be covered in a later guide).

NCPLH – The EDI Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders – a qualification for managers and supervisors or anyone in a role which requires them to authorise retail sales of alcohol.
NDDPS – The EDI Level 3 National Diploma for Designated Premises Supervisors – for anyone who is named the designated premises supervisor in a licensed premises, not just managers.
AUASP – The EDI Level 2 Award in Underage Sales Prevention – for anyone who is involved in the sale of age-restricted products

In addition to these training courses, there is also a course which deals with drug awareness, a growing issue within the retail and licensing industry. This course is called The EDI Level 2 Award in Drugs Awareness for Licensed Premises Staff, and it is for people at all levels working within retail and licensing businesses.

Retail and licensing qualifications explained – Scotland

The legal requirements for licensed premises and personal licence holders are different in Scotland compared to England and Wales, which can make it difficult to know which training courses need to be taken and which qualifications need to be attained.

To help you work out which training you need to take, alongside other vital courses such as health and safety training and first aid training, here is a quick guide to retail and licensing qualifications for people working in Scotland.

SCPLH – The EDI Level 5 Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders. Accredited by the same Awarding Body as the qualifications for England and Wales, this is the qualification needed in order to apply for your Personal Licence to sell or authorise sales of alcohol in Scotland.

SALPS – The Scottish Award for Licensed Premises Staff. From September 2009, all staff serving or selling alcohol in Scotland were required to meet new legislative requirements. The SALPS training course, which you need to complete to attain the qualification, covers the 16 main topics needed to fulfil statutory requirements. These topics include everything from sensible drinking limits and units of alcohol to licensing hours and good practice in managing conflict.

What is confined spaces awareness training and why is it important?

People working on construction sites and on other construction projects often end up working in fairly hazardous conditions, and with potentially dangerous tools and equipment. This is partly why accident and injury rates within the construction industry are so high, but another reason is that not all construction workers undergo the right health and safety training for the tasks they carry out.

Confined spaces awareness is a type of training designed for construction workers who often, or even occasionally, have to work in a very tight, cramped and substantially closed environment.

These spaces can potentially be very dangerous, with lack of oxygen being a particular hazard. This is why you should undergo training to learn about the hazards in confined spaces and how to avoid them. The training also teaches you about what personal protective equipment and clothing you should be wearing, how to use breathing apparatus, how to carry out a proper risk assessment before starting work and how to enter and exit the space safely.

Most importantly, this environment-specific construction safety training teaches you what to do in an emergency, should the worst happen. This makes it very valuable indeed, and it could even save your life in a dangerous situation.