Chepstow bar investigated over fire safety procedures

A bar in the Welsh town of Chepstow is to be investigated by the local health and safety authorities after a fire service inspection unearthed problems with fire safety procedures at the premises.

The Mythos Meze Bar in Welsh Street was inspected in 2006 and again in December 2010 by South Wales Fire and Rescue Service, who applied to Monmouthshire Council for the review of the bar’s licence. This was because of a number of safety concerns at the premises, including:

– The owner of the bar being unable to supply the fire service with records of fire risk assessment and safety checks
– A defective fire alarm system
– Unsafe use of candles within the bar
– An obstructed fire escape

All of these issues are generally included as part of fire awareness training for managers and supervisors of licensed premises.

The owner of the bar, Dios Mastrogiannopolous, has said that he is co-operating with the fire service and attempting to make the suggested changes to fire safety procedures. He said he did receive a letter from the fire service in December 2010, but believed he had up to six months to comply.
The Licensing Sub Committee is expected to meet next week to discuss the case.

Training Article  Mansfield hotel manager pleads guilty to fire safety offences

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *