A residential development located in the Dublin suburb of Donaghmede has been dubbed a fire hazard by the authorities, and more than 100 residents have been told to leave their homes on a temporary basis for their own safety.
A court heard recently that the Priory Hall apartment block breached numerous fire safety regulations. These violations were so serious, in fact, that if a fire broke out, it could engulf the whole building in a matter of just minutes.
Over 100 of the building’s tenants have now been told they must temporarily leave their homes because of the fire safety issues, as it is too dangerous for them to stay. Dublin City Council is pledging to help families find alternative accommodation in hotels and other establishments whilst the matter is being resolved.
Meanwhile, the firm which owns the building, Coalport Developments, has been ordered by the court to make urgent improvements to fire safety measures at the building. It may require further fire safety training, collaboration with the local fire service and considerable expenditure on the company’s part for the building to be safe enough for residents to move back in.