An Indian restaurant in Preston has been handed a low food hygiene rating after inspectors uncovered dirty conditions, mouse droppings and a string of other offences during a visit last year.
The Naseeb Tandoori restaurant, on Preston’s Church Street, was visited by environmental health officers from Preston Council last year. Following the visit, the council’s Environmental Health manager Simon Neighbour said that the restaurant was “one of the worst examples” of food hygiene training and standards he has seen in his 18 years in professional practice.
Problems unearthed at the Indian restaurant included:
• Mouse droppings found in principal food preparation and cooking areas
• Mouldy food found in a refrigerator
• Damaged storage room walls which could not be cleaned properly
• Overflowing bins in the backyard of the restaurant
• Live electrical wiring, gas leaks and no extraction vent over an oven in the kitchen, all of which posed serious risks to the safety of staff
• Dangerous gas chafing dishes used to keep food warm
The restaurant’s owner, Sheik Naseer Ahmed, was prosecuted at Preston Magistrates’ Court over the incident. He admitted the charges made against him and was handed a £1,000 fine, as well as being ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work.
Since the inspection, the Naseeb Tandoori restaurant is believed to have made improvements to food safety training, practices and standards, and it now has a two star food hygiene rating.