The owners of a former takeaway in Halifax are to appear in court this month to answer to a whopping 129 breaches of food hygiene laws, after a recent inspection found the premises riddled with cockroaches.
Calderdale Council alleges that an inspection at the Naz’s Kebab House and Grill, which has now shut down, revealed that the interior of the building had a serious cockroach infestation. Inspectors reportedly noticed around 10 cockroach traps, each containing around 600 dead cockroaches. They also spotted a trap with around 250 cockroaches in it on the floor of the kitchen, which is a flagrant breach of food hygiene law as it is where food is prepared.
In further shocking reports, the council says that there were cockroaches running over the floor of the takeaway and also in trays and surfaces near cooking equipment and where food was being stored.
In total, the three owners of the former Naz’s Kebab House and Grill will be charged with 129 food hygiene offences. In addition to the cockroach problem, some of the other charges relate to hand-washing facilities, draining racks and chopping boards that were covered in mould. It is clear that food hygiene training standards were not as they should have been, or action would have been taken before the council stepped in.