If you work in or manage an environment where hazardous substances are stored or handled, the right health and safety training is absolutely vital. Without proper knowledge of the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Regulations 2002, the safety of both employees and visitors could be at risk.
What is COSHH?
COSHH is the set of regulations for employers governing how hazardous substances are controlled in the workplace. According to the regulations, employees can be protected from these substances if employers take the following actions:
– Find out the health hazards relating to particular substances
– Conduct a health and safety risk assessment and implement control measures to prevent harm to health
– Ensure that all control measures are regularly used and maintained
– Offer instruction, information and COSHH training to staff
– Where appropriate, offer monitoring and health surveillance
– Plan for emergencies
You should be able to get to grips with the COSHH principles and understand how to implement them in your workplace after just a half-day COSHH training course. You and your employees can then undertake further health and safety training to improve standards in other parts of the workplace.