The landlord of a property in the seaside resort of Newquay has been prosecuted and fined for breaching fire safety regulations.
The property in question, a house of multiple occupancy (HMO) on St Mary’s Road in Newquay, was inspected by the Private Sector Housing Team at Cornwall Council. A number of problems were uncovered, such as failures to fit fire alarms, fire doors and emergency lighting.
The landlord of the house, Amanda de Gonville Morrison, was also accused in Bodmin Magistrates Court of obstructing a council offer from entering to carry out a further inspection.
Other charges there were 13 in total against the landlord included a failure to provide certificates for the electrical installation and to inform the council that she had a previous conviction from Gloucester City Council for running an HMO without a licence.
Ms Gonville Morrison was supposed to receive a fine of £62,500 for the offences, but this was drastically reduced due to the landlord’s health problems and impending bankruptcy.
A number of the responsibilities the landlord neglected such as the importance of fitting fire alarms and fire doors – would be covered as part of a standard fire training course.