A landlord has been fined more than £42,000 in Manchester Magistrates Court after he was found guilty of serious fire safety failings at a number of the properties he owned.
In total, Mohammed Javaid was fined £33,750 and was also ordered to pay £8,500 in court costs. The fine was imposed as a result of 17 contraventions of housing law and 3 breaches of the Fire Safety Order.
Of the 16 flats owned by Mr Javaid, 6 were found to be breaching fire safety regulations. Inspectors visiting these premises found issues such as missing fire alarms, smoke detectors and fire doors, dangerous electrical wiring and poor fire door maintenance in communal areas. It was also found that due to ignorance or a lack of proper fire safety training, the landlord had neglected to carry out a fire risk assessment.
In one property, officers from the city council had to issue an emergency prohibition order because conditions were so bad. Despite being expected to close the premises and move tenants out, Mr Javaid decided to keep the flats open and move new tenants in.
Commenting on the outcome of the case, Councillor Fred Walker (the chair of the Manchester Fire and Rescue authority) said:
“We welcome the clear message from the courts that action will be taken against those businesses that neglect fire safety and thereby risk the safety of the public.“