Nightclub bosses fined for fire safety breaches

The owners of a nightclub in the Greater Manchester town of Bury have been prosecuted and fined after breaching fire safety regulations.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service brought the charges against Kevin Clarke and Stephen Bailey after inspecting three premises in Bury – Cooler Bar, Temptations and Coco Lounge. Numerous issues were uncovered during the inspections, such as failures to install fire alarms, carry out fire risk assessments and ensure staff underwent proper fire safety training.

Mr Bailey, from Breightmet, was ordered to pay £550 in fines and £100 in court costs. Mr Clarke, who is from Bury, was fined £2,700 and ordered to pay court costs of £1,906.

Commenting on the case, the director of prevention and protection at Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service, Peter O’Reilly, said:

“We always support businesses that work to make their premises safe for people to use.

“However, we will take action against those businesses that neglect fire safety and, in doing so, put the lives of staff and the public at risk.

“We hope this court case sends a clear message that fire safety must be taken seriously.”

Training Article  Former fire station in Norwich fails fire safety inspection

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *