A nineteen year old agency worker was being trained at an adhesive tape manufacturing plant when he hand was pulled into the machine. Although he was airlifted to hospital, doctors were unable to save his thumb. He spent five days in hospital and seven months off work. The accident has had a significant impact on his life.
The subsequent investigation carried out by the Health and Safety Executive found that the man was being shown how to fix a common problem when the accident occurred. He was being trained to fix said problem while the machine was still running and the machine did not have its guard in place.
Considering that he had only been working for the company for three weeks, the training was all the more dangerous. Unsafe training and a lack of experience clearly had disastrous consequences for this young man who now has a permanently damaged hand.
His employer was fined eight thousand pounds and ordered to pay costs of almost fifteen thousand pounds. The worker will have to live with the consequences of their negligence.