All workplaces are required to have a responsible person for fire safety. This person (or persons more than one trained person is preferable) is also known as a fire warden or fire marshal.
The fire warden has a certain number of duties and responsibilities, all of which require proper fire marshall training to be undertaken beforehand. The role entails:
– Having good general fire safety awareness
– Checking fire fighting equipment regularly and identifying anything that is damaged or in need of maintenance
– Ensuring all escape routes are clear of obstructions at all times
– Making sure all mandatory fire notices and signs are in place and that they are legible and in good condition
– Knowing the location of the fire assembly point and also details of evacuation procedures
– Knowing how to alert people to fire, direct them to exits and call the fire brigade
-Knowing how to open all escape doors
– Being well informed on the working practices and standards for the safe use of flammable materials
As part of your fire safety awareness training, you may also learn about how to properly conduct a thorough fire risk assessment on your workplace.