The owners of a bar in the centre of Wolverhampton have been ordered to pay a substantial fine after a catalogue of food hygiene problems were uncovered at the premises.
City centre bar The Varsity, located on Stafford Street, was visited by environmental health officers from Wolverhampton City Council in November 2010. After a thorough inspection, officers reported that the bar had appalling standards of food hygiene and cleanliness.
The owners of the bar, the Buckinghamshire-based Barracuda Bars Co Ltd, were prosecuted by the council over the state of the premises. Donna Richards, prosecuting in Wolverhampton Magistrates Court, said that the inspection report stated that there was a â€œsignificant accumulation of grease and food debris on the floorâ€ in the bar, along with a host of other problems.
After admitting that they failed to comply with food hygiene regulations, the bar’s owners were fined £7,000 and ordered to pay court costs of £1,045.
This case demonstrates the importance of food hygiene training for all members of staff in bars, restaurants and hotels. On a food safety training course, employees will learn about the standards that food-serving premises are expected to meet, and how they can play a part in making this happen.