To ensure that all employees are safe, healthy and comfortable during their time at work, employers will need to provide certain facilities and equipment. As well as fire detecting and fire fighting equipment for emergency situations, there are smaller, more everyday facilities you should be providing for your staff members.
- A fully stocked first aid kit – this is a workplace essential and a legal
- requirement, but you will also need someone with first aid training to be able to use it
- Drinking water
- Toilets and hand-washing facilities, as well as hand dryers
- A place to eat meals and rest during breaks
- Heating systems that create a comfortable working environment
- Appropriate containers for waste
- Adequate lighting for the work being carried out in your workplace
- Lockers or other places for workers to store clothing and belongings
- Somewhere to change if employees need to wear special clothes for work
- Clean and hygienic workspaces – you may need to employ a cleaner if you haven’t already
- Systems to ensure good ventilation
To learn more about your responsibilities as an employer, you should consider taking a health and safety training course.